Sunday, June 10, 2018

Ripple Plant Milk

I got the chance to try Ripple plant-based milk for free thanks to MyMagazine Sharing Network. In the interest of full disclosure, I have purchased the Unsweetened Original flavor in the past on my own and did not like it at all. I typically use this type of product as a drink or over cereal, and I found the taste to be very strong and unpleasant. I drank about half a cup and then gave the rest of the bottle to a friend.

So for this free product trial, I decided to try the Chocolate variety seen here. My usual morning beverage is chocolate soy milk, but I still have mixed opinions about consuming that much soy, so I was hoping this would be a great alternative.

Upon opening and pouring the product, I found it to be very think. Almost the consistency of cream versus milk. I took a small sip and found it to be far too thick, so I added some water. However, even that first sip was not very promising. This does not taste like any chocolate beverage that I have ever had. The chocolate does nothing to mask the underlying flavor of the pea protein. I've been trying to come up with some way to describe the flavor of the pea protein base, but I really just can't. In addition, there is an almost metallic undertone to it and it is very bitter and leaves a very bitter aftertaste in my mouth for a long time. Finally, I found myself to be very upper-GI system gassy after drinking this. I burped regularly for at least an hour after finishing one glass.

I have since had a second glass that I again watered down and this time added ice before drinking. I still don't like the product, but if I drink it quickly, I can get it down so I will not waste the bottle. However, this brand (and I have tried the yogurt as well) is not one I can recommend. I'll stick to soy milk for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment